Why not utilize all your sewing machine has to offer? Here is a project that uses the decorative stitches that are built in. The background is the traditional block called “Delectable Mountains” or “Majestic Mountains.” It is a simple, but magical technique, easily attainable for the confident beginner.
You will have the best success using good quality 100% cotton quilting fabric. Home dec fabric, outdoor fabric, and polyester blends will not yield the best results. This pattern is not suitable for directional fabric. Choose 2 coordinating colors in tone-on-tone blenders or solids, or 1 very subtle print and 1 solid. The 3rd color will be the “tree ornament” background for the stitching or trim you will add.
A little pre-work is assigned. After straightening and clean-cutting the edges of your 2 Delectable Mountains fabrics, remove the selvages. Then cut 2 - 9” strips WOF fabric. Sub-cut 4 rectangles 9” X 8 ½”. In total, you will have 8 rectangles of each of the 2 colors, all measuring 9” X 8 ½”. Do not cut the ornament fabric, but you can apply the fusible to stabilize it, at home, if you want. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Goals for this class:
- Learn the “Delectable Mountains” block using the Eleanor Burns’ method
- Utilize decorative stitches built into your machine, or apply trim
- Learn to prepare pieces for appliqué using freezer paper
- Learn to couch ribbon by machine
- Color 1 – ½ yard WOF
- Color 2 – ½ yard WOF
- Color 3 – border - 1/3-yard WOF
- Color 4 – ornaments – ¼ yard WOF or fat quarter – this should be solid or subtle to showcase stitching (if your machine does not feature decorative stitches, metallic trim, hand stitching, or felt pre-cuts can be used)
- Glitzy thread – metallic, embroidery – anything shiny and in strong colors for embellishing
- 1 ½ yd. 1/8” satin ribbon will be supplied, if you don’t already have it
- 4” X 20” Fusible fleece or a stabilizer of your choice–will yield 5 ornaments (heavy embroidery stabilizer is not needed for this – fusible interfacing is enough)
- 3” and 2 ½” circle templates (optional - I use a small jar lid or embroidery hoop)
- Spray starch or equivalent (optional)
- Freezer paper – optional – I will have some to share
Standard cutting & sewing supplies:
- Rotary cutter, mat & rulers - some re supplied for sharing in classroom
- Scissors, pins, stiletto or bamboo skewer, sewing thread
- Extra thread, bobbins, large-eye machine needles (topstitch or metallic)
- Removable marking instrument (pencil, pen, marker, etc.)
- Iron and ironing surface, if you want your own – they are supplied for sharing in classroom
- Sewing machine and manual
Class Cancellation Policy
To reserve a seat, all Pocono Sew & Vac classes must be paid in full upon registration. In the event that a student needs to cancel their reservation for a class, they should notify PS&V at least 7 days in advance (by phone) to be eligible for a full refund. Cancellations made less than 7 days before class will not be issued a refund.
If a class does not have the minimum number of participants 7 days prior to class day, the teacher will cancel class. The customer will be fully refunded within 7 to 10 business days. Any questions call PS&V at 800-442-8227.