This class is for beginners who have some basic quilt-making experience, and are ready to get “out of the ditch “and try some more adventurous free motion designs using their domestic or mid-size quilting machines.
The machine you bring to class must have free-motion capacity. (Either the feed dogs drop, or there is a plate to cover the feed dogs.)
Pre-work is required, as outlined in the supply list. Each area of concentration will use a separate quilt sandwich, preparation of 6 sandwiches is required for each class. Samples are on display at PS&V and along with the photos attached. Compressing 6 sessions into 1 sandwich.
A mini trunk show accompanies each class, with examples of all the exercises displayed in the quilts, students can then see real-life applications.
In this two day class you will be covering multiple new free motion designs:
- Covered in Class #1: The road to stippling.
Cursive, teardrop, loops, ripples, wood grain, echo, enhance a print, stipple.
- Covered in Class #2: The road to pebble stitching.
String of pearls, lights, stars; spiral; 3’s & E’s; floral; pebbles.
- For Class #1 - 5 quilt sandwich squares, about 12” X 12“ muslin or plain neutral fabric – serge, zig-zag or pink the edges and sew a line close to the outside edge on all four sides to secure the sandwich. Plus: make 1 quilt sandwich square, about 12” X 12“using a strong print (floral, creature, or some distinct object[s] on the top, use a plain muslin backing) secure the sandwich as above.
- For Class #2: 6 quilt sandwich squares, about 12” X 12“ muslin or plain neutral fabric-serge, zig-zag or pink the edges & sew a line close to the outside edge all around, to secure the sandwich.
Required Supplies List:
- Sewing machine & manual - The machine you bring to class must have free-motion capacity. (Either the feed dogs drop, or there is a plate to cover the feed dogs.)
- Darning or quilting foot
- Threads and bobbins in strong colors
- Thread snips or scissors
- Extra machine needles
- 2 -3 sheets of lined paper
- Plain paper doodle tablet (dollar store quality)
- Pencil and eraser
- Removeable marking implement (Frixion pen or water erasable pen or vanishing pen or a chalk pen)
- Stencil for stippling (optional)
- Quilting gloves or rubber finger covers
- Chair cushion for your comfort and elevation - optional
Class Cancellation Policy
To reserve a seat, all Pocono Sew & Vac classes must be paid in full upon registration. In the event that a student needs to cancel their reservation for a class, they should notify PS&V at least 7 days in advance (by phone) to be eligible for a full refund. Cancellations made less than 7 days before class will not be issued a refund.
If a class does not have the minimum number of participants 7 days prior to class day, the teacher will cancel class. The customer will be fully refunded within 7 to 10 business days. Any questions call PS&V at 800-442-8227.
Some classes require homework to be done before class, such as cutting/prepping fabrics. If homework is required, it will be posted in the class description. Please read the class description thoroughly before signing up before a class. If homework is not done by the start of class, you will not be able to attend and a refund will not be issued. If you have any questions regarding class homework, please call the store and we will be happy to help.